Winter alps, fun

Winter alps, fun

Sunday 12 July 2015

CDG Training Camp June 2014

So after recent misadventures down Pwll Dwfn and Dan-Yr-Ogof, I let slip I used to dive alot and I was "invited" to come and try out cave diving at the Cave Diving Groups training camp.

I was told to read the CDG manual and practice in a pool/open water to get used to my gear. This I did and felt incredibly prepared for the countless dry runs and open water practice that would follow during the weekend, if I was lucky, I may even get to stick my head in a cave on Sunday!



So I turned up the Friday night in glorious weather and was soon welcomed by friends who quickly had me set about the few barrels of ale that were on offer! Once several barrels had been depleted, at about 4am, I was asked "Where do you fancy tomorrow then?"

I had no clue, I hadn't expected to go in a cave and knew nothing about cave diving in Wales. It was decided for me, Llygad Llwchwr.



The morning (too) soon came and we had a few workshops, including line laying and following during which I remember been amazed by the simple ingenuity of the cave divers reel, as opposed to the fancy things you see in dive shops!


But now it was time to go diving! I received my directions, which consisted entirely of a finger vaguely being pointed at a map and the words "turn right at the cattle grid and stop about 100 yards further on". 




Needless to say, as I'm not from Wales, the cave was over an hour from SWCC and I'm not the best with directions when I'm driving anyway, I was very late. Arriving just after everyone else had finished diving.

Most people rushed off to get back to the beer at the hut, but I must say a big thanks to those who waited around, particularly to Rich Hudson who gave me final words of advice, checked my gear over whilst I was setting up and when one of my regulators developed a fault, lent me his own.

I must also give a big thanks to Claire Cohen, who as soon as Rich lent me his regulator, quickly informed me "It's an apeks manta. One breath from death", this calmed my nerves a lot. She also gave me final words of advice and even waited around until I'd finished diving to check I was OK. 

The dive itself was incredibly fun, you start by descending, feet first, a 6m deep vertical shaft a little bigger than diver size. At the bottom it goes horizontal through a low passage and attempted to turn around from feet first to head first here was quite interesting. I carried on through another three sumps until I came across a patch of line that was nearly broken. This being my first dive I turned around rather than try to deal with it.

I'm sorry the description isn't more descriptive, but you must remember the cave had been passed, forwards and backwards, by about 10 divers before me, I could barely see the light from my own helmet mounted torch! 


 So it was back to SWCC, where Rich Hudson (again, big thanks) quickly set about servicing both my regulators for me, using his own parts and a fair amount of his time and wouldn't even take a beer in return!



Not so quickly was the BBQ set about, until a bottle of pure O2 turned up! Unreal amounts of food appeared from nowhere, unreasonable amounts of alcohol came out of cars to supplement the two remaining barrels of ale in the hut, and we whiled away the night into the early hours of the morning.

During that time, but I can't remember when exactly, plans were made with Malcolm Stewart for me and him to go and dive in Ogof Ffynnon Ddus Dip Sump.



So, with a heavy hangover, we found ourselves stumbling through OFD with a 7L cylinder on each side and a bag on our backs, fortunately, the carry is not particularly hard, but neither of us enjoyed it!

The dive, however, was incredible, with amazing visibility and such awesome passage as you can't even imagine. I turned getting cold quite a way into the system and was treated to my first view of a diver swimming in a cave as Malcolm shot past me on his way in. Turns out the trick to diving in a wetsuit, is to swim fast!





















No comments:

Post a Comment